Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The value of an anchor

advice from @alexiskirke Alexis Kirke (who has just completed his second PhD)

As I'm writing up my thesis (and as it is taking such a long time) I asked him for some tips.


This was his advice in a brief tweet:

'be clear about ur motivations, be clear what ur trying to demonstrate, 
relate to past lit, and don't try to be perfect'

With this in mind I produced a document and pinned it on the wall above my desk. 
It reminds me of:
- my research questions
- significant points being made in my thesis
- their relationship with fundamental theoretical ideas
- not to make everything perfect (whatever that is I tend to overwork things)
- my motivations

It sounds obvious but having it there has proven to be a real anchor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment